Follow me over at Goodreads for the most current book list. A book, good or bad, will forever alter the way you view the world. Once you have read those pages, you can never remove the propositions presented before you, but you can read critically, and with a discerning mind. The number one most recommended book I would have on my list before you read any books at all would be How to Read a Book by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren. This one classic book will change the way you read and look at all books going forward. It should be required reading for anyone interested in reading another book.
This page is dedicated to my Recommended Reading List, that is those books I have read (and some I want to read). They are broken up into the same categories I have developed on my site, my Journal, Faith, Technology, and Photography, plus a Bonus blogroll section for some great sites that don’t quite fit in any of those categories (like your site perhaps). Over the years I have grown to appreciate the art of reading way beyond anything I had ever learned in grade school.
My Recommended Reading
This list of books here are just books that have stood out in my life of reading, and have made some impact on my in one way or another. Not all are books I agree with (such as Rob Bell’s Love Wins), but all are books that have altered my understanding. To see an active list of books I would like to read, visit my Amazon reading wish list, or my Amazon Kindle profile page, which will show you what books I’m currently reading on Kindle. True wisdom is found in the pages of these books listed below.
Some of the best books I don’t have listed here are biographies. That list is coming soon. Start with anything by Walter Isaacson and Eric Metaxas.
Books on Technology
- The Next Story: Life and Faith after the Digital Explosion
- Viral: How Social Networking is Poised to Ignite Revival by Leonard Sweet
- Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
Books on Photography
- Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
- Anything on Erik Kim’s list of recommended books on this list
- Erik Kim’s ebooks
- Books by John Shaw
- Galen Rowell’s Inner Game of Outdoor Photography
- The Street Photographers
- On Photography by Susan Sontag
- Vivian Maier Street Photographer
- Road to Seeing by Dan Winters
Books on Sailing
- Half Fast
- The Old Man and the Sea
- Maiden Voyage
- Old Man Sailing
Books on Faith
- Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxsas
- The Life and God in the Soul of Man by Henry Scougal
- God’s Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards by Piper
- The Life and Diary of David Brainerd by David Brainerd
- East of Eden
- 25 Books Every Christian Must Read by Renovaré
- How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler (one of the best books ever written)
Reading is an ongoing process and books are always changing. The best books are probably those that have survived a longer time and weathered the storm of time. Seek those out.